zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Pierre Koenig <jean-pierre.koe...@memonews.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper and multiple data centers
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:14:44 GMT
Hi Michael,

as you said, ZK does not require high end server hardware. Neither the
number of clients nor the size of your ZK quorum is a problem.

But you should beware of large payload. ZK is not designed to handle
huge amount of data and 512MB is much more than huge. Since ZK ack is
required by the majority of quorum (write requests) your data is
shipped throught the entire zk cluster. I highly recommend not more
than 1024 KB payload.  The other point you should consider here is
(network) latency. i guess your ZK clients (your 50) will see a lot of
SessionExpired or ConnectionLoss exceptions, depending on the
connectivity of your DC's among one another.

Regards, JP

--
Jean-Pierre Koenig
Head of Technology