zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jack Luo <j...@rim.com>
Subject Data change notification is lost during failover
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:09:57 GMT
Hi All,

I am using Zookeeper3.3.5 for a distributed project. During the test, a watch related issue
is found. Our monitor program places 100 watches on 100 different paths (e.g. /goo1 .... /goo100)
for monitoring the data change, and another writer program updates one of paths at a specified
interval. We found sometimes some data change notification messages are lost when the monitor
program is switched to a new server due to the failure of current server.

I check the "watch management" section in current release notes http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/releasenotes.html
and find a statement "In this release the client library tracks watches that a client has
registered and reregisters the watches when a connection is made to a new server." So based
on the information, look like during server failover it is expected behavior to lose data
change notifications before watches are successfully re-registered in a new server.

The solution that I figure out to this issue is to query all 100 paths to check if there is
any data change after the monitor program is connected to a new server.

However if we need to monitor 1000 or 10K paths, this solution may not be good. Can anyone
suggest a better solution to this issue?

Furthermore, can ZK service is enhanced to replicate the watches on each ZK server to solve
this issue forever?

Thanks for your time and help!

Jack

and may be unlawful.