zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jor...@jordanzimmerman.com>
Subject Re: ANN: Exhibitor 1.1.0
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 05:28:09 GMT
Someone deleted the page - try now.

>How do you avoid obvious crazy cases like 5 new hosts jumping onto a cluster
>where all of the original hosts in the quorum are down for maintenance or something?

New instances are added into the cluster one at a time. So, if you wanted to add 5 new instances
for some reason, it wouldn't break quorum. I don't follow your example, though, of 5 new hosts
while the originals are down for maintenance.

The way Exhibitor accomplishes this is via shared configuration. The details of the rolling
config change are here: https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor/wiki/Rolling-Ensemble-Change
(see the Details section).

-JZ

On Jun 27, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> That link seems to point to the what is exhibitor page.
>
> Can you explain how this feature is not fantastically dangerous?  Do you have long time
constants?  How do you avoid obvious crazy cases like 5 new hosts jumping onto a cluster where
all of the original hosts in the quorum are down for maintenance or something?

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 27, 2012, at 4:34 PM, JZ <jordan@jordanzimmerman.com> wrote:
>
>> Exhibitor now supports Automatic Instance Management. Exhibitor can be configured
to automatically add new instances to the ensemble and remove stale instances. This enables
touchless and turn-key management of a ZooKeeper cluster.

>> When Automatic Instance Management is enabled:
>>
>> * New instances will automatically add themselves to the ZooKeeper ensemble.
>> * Instances in the configured servers list that appear to be no longer operating
will be removed from the ZooKeeper ensemble