zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Joe Gamache <gama...@cabotresearch.com>
Subject Multi question on using previous ops results
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 15:59:14 GMT
I need to do something like the following:

Stat stats = nodeToSet.getStat();
if (stats != null) {
     int version = stats.getVersion();
     stats = client.getZk().setData(path, data, version);

(data was preset in code not shown).   Since I have multiple processes
all vying to do things, in the worst case (which happens too
frequently), two processes execute the above at basically the same time,
which causes errors.   I thought I might be able to use Multi to do this
atomically, but I cannot figure out how to use the result (the version
number above) from one Op in a later Op.  Is this possible?

This was the simplest example I could find, but this happens often -
usually with Paths.  For instance, sometimes I create a zookeeper node
and want a "LOCK" node underneath it.  If I follow the "recipe" and use
an ephemeral sequential node as the lock, how can I refer to sequence in
a Path in subsequent Op added to a "multi" or is there any way to do it
atomically?  Sorry that was so very wordy.  What I was really trying to
ask, is how do I create and lock a node atomically?

thanks for any help, insight!

joe