zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Duncan Findlay <dun...@duncf.ca>
Subject Re: The State of Python Zookeeper libraries and collaboration
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 04:17:46 GMT

On May 17, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Mark Gius wrote:

> Are you planning on writing a pure-python client (does not call out to the
> C bindings via zkpython) or are you planning on writing a solid wrapper
> around the C bindings. Implementing a pure-python client would go a long
> way towards making various green thread frameworks work without having to
> jump through hoops.  I think we'd have to add support to Jute so that it
> would generate python data classes kind of like it does now with Java and C.

One nice thing about the C bindings is that the communication with ZooKeeper happens in a
separate C-thread. We have a number of applications that like to chew through all the available
CPU. In these applications it's impossible to ensure that any individual Python thread gets
scheduled frequently enough (e.g. to send PINGs to the server). So, personally I'd rather
use the C bindings. ;-)

Duncan