zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Mohammad Abdul-Amir (Shamma)" <mohammadsha...@gmail.com>
Subject adding/removing a zookeeper server
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:46:06 GMT
Hello,

I have been searching through the zookeeper documentation and the web for
information about reconfiguring a zookeeper ensemble. More precisely I am
interested in adding/removing zookeeper servers to/from a zookeeper
ensemble. Unfortunately, I could not find much information around,
therefore I am bringing up the issue on this list.

My questions are:

- Is there a safe procedure to add a zookeeper server to a zookeeper
ensemble?
- Is there a safe procedure to remove a zookeeper server from an existing
ensemble?

Some posts I have read suggest that these operations are possible. The
described procedure is to rewrite a new zookeeper configuration to all
involved servers and to restart them. However, given that I could not find
any information about how to carry out these two operations in zookeeper's
documentation makes me nervous about relying on the described procedure.

I would appreciate if anyone can point me to a different procedures to
carry out add/remove operations, or convince me that it is safe to use the
procedure described above. Safety for me is two-fold: zookeeper database
can not get corrupted (unusable), and state updates can not get lost.

--
Mohammad Abdul-Amir (Shamma)