zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jzimmer...@netflix.com>
Subject Rolling upgrades
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:30:32 GMT
I've been reading the archives regarding rolling upgrades. Here's the scenario, given a stable
ensemble:

ZK1 <-> ZK2 <-> ZK3

In the above, the zoo.cfg for each server looks like this (pseudo):
server.1=ZK1
server.2=ZK2
server.3=ZK3

I want to add a new server, ZK4. If I understand this correctly, I'd bring up ZK4 with this
config:
server.1=ZK1
server.2=ZK2
server.3=ZK3
server.4=ZK4

At this point, though, the configs don't match in the ensemble. How do the ZK instances handle
this?

Continuing…

Once ZK4 is up, ZK1 would get the new config and get restarted. Once ZK1 is up, ZK2 gets new
config, etc.

At each point of config change, the cluster is in a confused state about the config. Is there
code in ZK to handle this?

-JZ