zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: maven-metadata in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:12:56 GMT
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Berk D. Demir <bdd@mindcast.org> wrote:
> Resurrecting this problem again after finding out what was wrong and how
> the replication broke just the metadata file.
>
> *Background:*
> ZooKeeper releases are made manually with Ant copied via scp to old
> repository under people.apache.org.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease
> Although maven-metadata.xml in people.apache.org is correct the one in
> Maven Central still points to 3.3.1.
>
> *Why is this happening?*
> There are two mirrors defined on Sonatype side. One is from RAO (
> repo.apache.org) and the other one is from old people.apache.org repo.
> At some point ZK published artifacts to RAO. The lastest one was 3.3.1.
> But ZK still uses old people.apache.org repo and publishes new artifacts
> there.
> Sonatype's Nexus mirrors from both locations and this breaks
> maven-metadata.xml.
>
> Here's the JIRA with Apache Infra people and Sonatype's support.
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-173
>
> *How to fix*
> Brian Fox from Apache Infra suggests to move the project to Nexus and
> completely remove the old repository in people.apache.org.

Hi Berk, thanks for the in depth writeup, esp for those of us not very
familiar with the underlying issues.  Would love to move to Nexus but
as you mention in the next section ZOOKEEPER-1078 is still pending.
Even when that goes in it would only to to the next version (probably
3.5) and wouldn't effect 3.3 and 3.4 codelines, so we'd still have
this issue regardless. Is it possible to use Nexus w/o using maven? IE
can we drive this from our ant scripts, or at the very least do it by
hand? What's the process look like if doing by hand (I've used nexus
with other projects, but only via maven).

> I am offering to help Mavenizing the project and move publishing to RAO.
> There is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1078 from May 2011
> and last touched Dec 2011.
> ...along with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1402
>
> If the developers are not interested in this one yet, please reach Apache
> Infra and make them delete ZK in repo.apache.org.
> This is so annoying (reason explained below)

What will be the effect of doing this? (deleting repo.apache.org) I
don't remember setting this up, might someone be depending upon it?

Thanks for the insight and help.

Regards,

Patrick