zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Berk D. Demir" <...@mindcast.org>
Subject Re: maven-metadata in Maven Central still points to 3.3.1
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 18:24:06 GMT
Resurrecting this problem again after finding out what was wrong and how
the replication broke just the metadata file.

*Background:*
ZooKeeper releases are made manually with Ant copied via scp to old
repository under people.apache.org.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToRelease
Although maven-metadata.xml in people.apache.org is correct the one in
Maven Central still points to 3.3.1.

*Why is this happening?*
There are two mirrors defined on Sonatype side. One is from RAO (
repo.apache.org) and the other one is from old people.apache.org repo.
At some point ZK published artifacts to RAO. The lastest one was 3.3.1.
But ZK still uses old people.apache.org repo and publishes new artifacts
there.
Sonatype's Nexus mirrors from both locations and this breaks
maven-metadata.xml.

Here's the JIRA with Apache Infra people and Sonatype's support.
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-173

*How to fix*
Brian Fox from Apache Infra suggests to move the project to Nexus and
completely remove the old repository in people.apache.org.

I am offering to help Mavenizing the project and move publishing to RAO.
There is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1078 from May 2011
and last touched Dec 2011.
...along with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1402

If the developers are not interested in this one yet, please reach Apache
Infra and make them delete ZK in repo.apache.org.
This is so annoying (reason explained below)

*Why is this important again?*
Sonatype's OSSRH (open source software repository hosting) more or less
became the defacto Maven repository for many open source projects (lately
adopting entire scala-tools.org). If a project has a ZooKeeper dependency,
the latest  version they can get is still 3.3.1. Declaring external
repositories is not allowed in project pom.xml for many reasons.
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/02/why-putting-repositories-in-your-poms-is-a-bad-idea/

This slows down the adaptation of latest ZooKeeper clients and forces
people to use 3.3.1 from 2010 with a slew of bugs.

Thanks,
B.