zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Shelley, Ryan" <Ryan.Shel...@disney.com>
Subject znode defaults
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2012 00:45:13 GMT
Hi folks. Very new to ZooKeeper and evaluating it for a project. The ZK directory-like layout
is perfect for what I'm working on, for record storage, with one caveat. I'm curious if there's
a way to set it up to return default records in the event a specific record isn't available
(I'm attempting to reduce the number of round-trips to retrieve some data).

For example:

I create a node named "foo" with the data "lorem_ipsum":
create /foo lorem_ipsum

Then I create a node named "bar" under "foo" with the data "baz":
create /foo/bar baz

If I get "/foo/bar" obviously I'll get "baz", however, if I try to get "/foo/blah" I'd like
to get "lorem_ipsum." I know this is highly suspect as a design pattern, but there's a method
to the madness. We want to create records that can be overridden by sub-records (like "/foo/bar"),
but in the event that sub-record doesn't exist, I'd get back the next concrete record.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Ryan