zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deployment planning question
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 00:16:25 GMT
im curious what you want to happen in the mirrored option. if you are
mirroring and both datacenters are up, but cannot talk to each other,
what should happen?

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Jason Harmon <jh033q@att.com> wrote:
> My preference, of course, would be to have three datacenters...if one is partitioned
off, zookeeper would not respond, which would be perfect. In that scenario, our other two
would still be up and running in the other two datacenters.
> Of course I only have two, and I can't host anything externally due to corporate security
restrictions. It sure would be nice for a smaller-scale deployment to just have a simple mirrored
option, as opposed to the mandatory 3 server/quorum requirement.
> I'm investigating a potential third site I can get access to, but I'm just trying to
fully explore any other potential options.

> Thanks for the quick response Ben

they cannot communicate with each other? answering that question may get you closer to an
answer.

> i think your two main options are to:
>
> 1) designate a data center that you require to be up for things to work. then you can
put two in that one and one in the other
> 2) otherwise you need to setup a machine in another datacenter or amazon instance or
something that will in effect decide which data center can run if one of the datacenters goes
down or you are in the partition scenario above.

> ben
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Jason Harmon <jh033q@att.com> wrote:
>> We are planning a ZooKeeper deployment, but are struggling with some aspects of our
current architecture. We have two data centers; most applications use load balancing between
the two data centers to ensure redundancy for disaster recovery etc. ZooKeeper has been challenging
for us, because we can't quite figure out how to structure our servers. We aren't starting
with lots of clients, so 3 servers should be a good fit initially. However, if we put two
servers in one datacenter, and one server in the other, we're setup for a quorum failure if
we have a power outage at the datacenter with two boxes.
>> Short of setting up a third data center for our division, what options do we have
for deploying ZooKeeper effectively, with disaster recovery in mind etc.