zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deployment planning question
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:05:02 GMT
what do you want to happen if both datacenters are up, but there is a
partition so that they cannot communicate with each other? answering
that question may get you closer to an answer.

i think your two main options are to:

1) designate a data center that you require to be up for things to
work. then you can put two in that one and one in the other
2) otherwise you need to setup a machine in another datacenter or
amazon instance or something that will in effect decide which data
center can run if one of the datacenters goes down or you are in the
partition scenario above.

ben

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Jason Harmon <jh033q@att.com> wrote:
> We are planning a ZooKeeper deployment, but are struggling with some aspects of our current
architecture. We have two data centers; most applications use load balancing between the two
data centers to ensure redundancy for disaster recovery etc. ZooKeeper has been challenging
for us, because we can't quite figure out how to structure our servers. We aren't starting
with lots of clients, so 3 servers should be a good fit initially. However, if we put two
servers in one datacenter, and one server in the other, we're setup for a quorum failure if
we have a power outage at the datacenter with two boxes.
> Short of setting up a third data center for our division, what options do we have for
deploying ZooKeeper effectively, with disaster recovery in mind etc.