zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jason Harmon <jh0...@att.com>
Subject RE: Deployment planning question
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 00:01:03 GMT
My preference, of course, would be to have three datacenters...if one is partitioned off, zookeeper
would not respond, which would be perfect. In that scenario, our other two would still be
up and running in the other two datacenters.
Of course I only have two, and I can't host anything externally due to corporate security
restrictions. It sure would be nice for a smaller-scale deployment to just have a simple mirrored
option, as opposed to the mandatory 3 server/quorum requirement.
I'm investigating a potential third site I can get access to, but I'm just trying to fully
explore any other potential options.

Thanks for the quick response Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Benjamin Reed [mailto:breed@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 4:05 PM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: Deployment planning question

what do you want to happen if both datacenters are up, but there is a partition so that they
cannot communicate with each other? answering that question may get you closer to an answer.

i think your two main options are to:

1) designate a data center that you require to be up for things to work. then you can put
two in that one and one in the other
2) otherwise you need to setup a machine in another datacenter or amazon instance or something
that will in effect decide which data center can run if one of the datacenters goes down or
you are in the partition scenario above.

ben

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Jason Harmon <jh033q@att.com> wrote:
> We are planning a ZooKeeper deployment, but are struggling with some aspects of our current
architecture. We have two data centers; most applications use load balancing between the two
data centers to ensure redundancy for disaster recovery etc. ZooKeeper has been challenging
for us, because we can't quite figure out how to structure our servers. We aren't starting
with lots of clients, so 3 servers should be a good fit initially. However, if we put two
servers in one datacenter, and one server in the other, we're setup for a quorum failure if
we have a power outage at the datacenter with two boxes.
> Short of setting up a third data center for our division, what options do we have for
deploying ZooKeeper effectively, with disaster recovery in mind etc.