zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: QuorumPeer requires at least 2 peers?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 00:09:33 GMT
Yes, that's right. More precisely, a quorum of peers (hence the name ;)) must participate in
an election round for it to terminate.

In your case, with a two node cluster, a quorum is usually n/2 + 1 nodes, which is 2. So both
nodes must be available.

Henry

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 2, 2012, at 3:58 PM, Alan Perez-Rathke <alan@spantree.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am encountering a scenario in which I have started two QuorumPeers and then I call
shutdown() on one of them (in order to simulate a server crashing).

> The remaining QuorumPeer then busy loops within Election::lookForLeader().  It never
appears to be able to return from this loop.

> I have seen this behavior on ZooKeeper versions 3.3.4 and 3.4.2 and with election algorithms:
LeaderElection, AuthFastLeaderElection, and FastLeaderElection.

> Does this mean that QuorumPeer requires at least 2 peers online in order to not infinite
loop within the internal leader election?