zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timeouts and ping handling
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 18:09:10 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Manosiz Bhattacharyya
<manosizb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not think that there is a problem with the queue size. I guess the
> problem is more with latency when the Fusion I/O goes in for a GC. We are
> enabling stats on the Zookeeper and the fusion I/O to be more precise. Does
> Zookeeper typically do only sequential I/O, or does it do some random too.
> We could then move the logs to a disk.

I was going to say what Ted said - it's odd to see such long pauses
given you don't have GC issues and you are barely using the system.
Your suspicion on disk may be correct.

The server really just does sequential IO - it's writing the WAL for
any changes and periodically taking the snapshot.

Note that this could be an issue in ZK itself. The c client talking to
the service using async operations with such low round trip
expectations is not something we typically see or in particular test.
It will be interesting to see the results of your further
investigations.

Btw, you are using c client - which version? the pthreads version or
the version where you manage timeslicing yourself?

Patrick