zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: building an distribuited mail-store UID generator using zookeeper
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:36:12 GMT
Hello Norman,

2012/1/25 Norman Maurer <norman@apache.org>:
> Hi Ioan,
>
> did you read this:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org/msg01967.html

I have read it now. I will look over the code for H1 [1] and also try
to contact the developer to get some info about how well it scales.

The other idea that I had in regard to uid generation is very well
described by Ted in this mail [2]: create servers that do uid
generation and use Zk to coordinate them, somewhat similar to what
region servers do in HBase. Each server will be responsible for
creating uids for a shard of mailboxes.

Clients will interrogate ZK to get the list of servers and then
connect to the server they need for each mailbox.

[1] https://github.com/talis/H1
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-user/201201.mbox/browser

--
Ioan Eugen Stan