zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Josh Stone <pacesysj...@gmail.com>
Subject Use cases for ZooKeeper
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 04:09:27 GMT
I have a few use cases that I'm wondering if ZooKeeper would be suitable
for and would appreciate some feedback.

First use case: Distributing work to a cluster of nodes using consistent
hashing to ensure that messages of some type are consistently handled by
the same node. I haven't been able to find any info about ZooKeeper +
consistent hashing. Is anyone using it for this? A concern here would be
how to redistribute work as nodes come and go from the cluster.

Second use case: Distributed locking. I noticed that there's a recipe for
this on the ZooKeeper wiki. Is anyone doing this? Any issues? One concern
would be how to handle orphaned locks if a node that obtained a lock goes
down.

Third use case: Fault tolerance. If we utilized ZooKeeper to distribute
messages to workers, can it be made to handle a node going down by
re-distributing the work to another node (perhaps messages that are not
ack'ed within a timeout are resent)?

Cheers,
Josh