zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Josh Stone <pacesysj...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use cases for ZooKeeper
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:04:11 GMT
Thanks for the response. Comments below:

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jzimmerman@netflix.com>wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> >Second use case: Distributed locking
> This is one of the most common uses of ZooKeeper. There are many
> implementations - one included with the ZK distro. Also, there is Curator:
> https://github.com/Netflix/curator
>
> >First use case: Distributing work to a cluster of nodes
> This sounds feasible. If you give more details I and others on this list
> can help more.

Sure. I basically want to handle race conditions where two commands that
operate on the same data are received by my cluster of znodes,
concurrently. One approach is to lock on the data that is effected by the
command (distributed lock). Another approach is make sure that all of the
commands that operate on any set of data are routed to the same node, where
they can be processed serially using local synchronization. Consistent
hashing is an algorithm that can be used to select a node to handle a
message (where the inputs are the key to hash and the number of nodes in
the cluster).

There are various implementations for this floating around. I'm just
interesting to know how this is working for anyone else.

Josh