zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject building an distribuited mail-store UID generator using zookeeper
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:26:00 GMT
Hello,

I'm pretty new to Zk and I wish to design a distribuited uid generator
with it. I'm working on Apache James (email server) and we have a HBase
Mailbox implementation but we are missing this piece to go closer to
full distributed mail store.

The problem:

Each message in the mail-store has a unique UID that is 32 bits long.
They all have to be unique for one mailbox and must be (generated) in
ascending order. It's similar to the sequence znode type available in Zk.

A new UID is required for every new email, moved email, and some other
operations.

I wish to store uid's for mailboxes as ZK paths:
/m/${mailbox-uuid-or-name}/uid-

My question is if Zookeeper can support a huge amount of sequence znodes
in the range of let's say 15 milion and do update on a fraction of those.

Thanks,

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com