zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From yuliya Feldman <yufeld...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding ZK behaviour during leader reelection
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:28:24 GMT
Does not look like this question made to a forum.
Resending it in hope that somebody from ZK developers will answer.

Thanks.

________________________________
 From: yuliya Feldman <yufeldman@yahoo.com>
To: "user@zookeeper.apache.org" <user@zookeeper.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:30 PM
Subject: Question regarding ZK behaviour during leader reelection

Hello here,

I have a question regarding ZK clients behaviour during ZK Leader reelection.

We have a situation where server where ZK Leader was running run low on memory and essentially
ZK was "frozen" for quite a bit of time.

Meanwhile other 2 ZK servers did reelections among them and new Leader was chosen.

Now on ZK client nodes (not taking "bad" node into consideration) got Disconnect and Closely
after Connect events, because as far as I understand no leader was available for about 500
ms. (during reelection).

The question really is - as it is very likely that it will be some time during ZK leader election
when none of the ZK servers will be available ZK clients are very likely to "feel" that something
happened on the ZK Server (Quorum side).
Which means that ANY application that relies on Zookeeper has to at least handle Disconnect
event gracefully.

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks.