zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Dima Gutzeit <dima.gutz...@mailvision.com>
Subject Re: Distributed ZooKeeper cluster design
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 02:50:20 GMT
To summarize the discussion:

As I understand the "preferred" approach will be having a quorum in C and
at least two observers in other regions (for HA).

Each node's clients must talk to its local ZK servers.

This approach will decrease the traffic between the regions and increase
the speed of ZK clients accessing local nodes.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Regards,
Dima Gutzeit.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am happy to agree with everyone that the mirroring isn't a great idea for
> most things even if that makes me look like I disagree with myself.
>
> I do think that mirroring could be made to happen in a reliable way, but it
> isn't going to be a viable substitute for direct access to the cluster.  By
> reliable, I think that you could get a reliable picture of what was in the
> master cluster at some time in the past.  Occasionally the mirror would be
> further behind than other times and it might be necessary for the mirror to
> be updated much faster than real-time.  In my vision, the mirror would be
> read-only since anything else leads to madness in the strict consistency
> model that ZK maintains.
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Benjamin Reed <breed@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > i agree with camille that mirror breaks a lot of the basic guarantees
> > that you use from zookeeper. with that caveat in mind, there is a
> > patch that enables mirroring: ZOOKEEPER-892.
> >
> > ben
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Camille Fournier <camille@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > > I have to strongly disagree with ted on the mirroring idea... I think
> it
> > is
> > > likely to be really error-prone and kind of defeats the purpose of ZK
> in
> > my
> > > mind. It depends on what you're mirroring but if you're trying to keep
> > all
> > > the data coherent you can't sensibly do that in two clusters, so unless
> > the
> > > mirror is for a really small subset of the data I would stay far far
> away
> > > from that.
> > >
> > > Observers are available in 3.3.3, yes.
> > > Unfortunately, we don't have configurable connection logic in ZK client
> > (at
> > > least java) right now. We have the ability to add it pretty easily, but
> > it
> > > hasn't been put in yet.
> > >
> > > You're seeing slow performance for a setup that has all ZK servers in
> > > region C for clients only in regions A and B and you can't blame the
> > > network? That's literally the only thing you could blame, unless
> clients
> > in
> > > region C were also seeing slow performance or they have some other
> > problem
> > > in they way they are implemented that makes them different from clients
> [...]
C,