zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From de Souza Medeiros Andre <andre.medei...@aalto.fi>
Subject Questions on Zab phases
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 20:39:09 GMT
Dear Zookeeper developers,

I am a student writing a report on the internals of Zookeeper. I have
been reading the papers as well as the source code of Zookeeper and
I have some basic questions to ask.

First of all, the paper:

"Junqueira, F.P.; Reed, B.C.; Serafini, M.:
Zab: High-performance broadcast for primary-backup systems.
IEEE/IFIP 41st International Conference on
Dependable Systems & Networks (DSN), 2011."

discusses Zab as first doing a leader election and followed
by three phases:

1. Discovery
2. Synchronization
3. Broadcast

I have also been reading the Zookeeper source code, and
could locate the following parts:

- Fast Leader Election (by default)
- Synchronization
- Broadcast

It seem like Fast Leader Election is substituting both
Leader Election and Discovery phase of the protocol in
the paper. Is my understanding correct, and what are the
guarantees assumed by the synchronization phase on earlier
phases of the Zab pipeline?

On a sidenote, I was also quickly looking at the
Synchronization phase in the code and could not locate
the Commit message for new leader described in the paper.
Was this an oversight on my part?

Thank you,
--
Andre Medeiros