zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: setting zookeeper heap size
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 01:22:52 GMT
If you are using RHEL 6 chances are you're running into the newer per
thread allocator in recent glibc. See
http://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-applications-use-significantly-more-virtual-memory-on-RHEL-6-compared-to-RHEL-5

If so, it's harmless. Virtual memory address space is not a scarce
resource. If it concerns you, you can set MALLOC_ARENA_MAX to something
like 4 in the JVM's environment.

Henry

On Thursday, 10 November 2011, Camille Fournier <camille@apache.org> wrote:
> It's very odd for the jvm to chose a 6g heap. On a 64bit machine it might
> choose 2g, I've never seen it go larger without xmx. Check to see if you
> have some sort of flags unintentionally added.

> From my phone
> On Nov 10, 2011 4:59 PM, "Patrick Hunt" <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> In general ZK does not bound the heap size. The default is to use
>> whatever the JVM prefers, which is typically based on available host
>> memory. You can override this using JVMFLAGS.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Ed Sexton <sextonhadoop@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> > Hello Group-
>> >
>> > I am running CDH zookeeper version 3.3.3+12.12 and noticed that
zookeeper
>> > is running with a heapsize of 6477m.
>> >
>> > I start zookeeper standalone, via /etc/init.d/hadoop-zookeeper-server.
>> > do not see reference to any ZOOKEEPER_HEAPIZE in the startup or
zoo.cfg,
>> > nor do I see any special JVMFLAGS in export/usr/bin/zookeeper-server,
>> which
>> > is what is called by the startup script, it just has this definition:
>> >
>> > JVMFLAGS=-Dzookeeper.log.threshold=INFO
>> >
>> > Can someone guide me to where the 6GB heapsize is being referenced?
 This

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer