zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mark <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Design question
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:18:56 GMT
I have a general design question regarding ZooKeeper.

Our use case: We currently have 3 restful recommendation servers that
simply wrap a Mahout GenericBooleanPrefItemBasedRecommender. We started
off using a JDBCDataModel but for performance reasons we had to switch
to a FileDataModel so everything would be kept in memory. Although now
that our recommendations service is blazing fast the start up/reloading
time for each of these services are in the minutes. If we try to update
all services at once then all recommendation requests come to a halt. As
a result of this whenever we push a new model we have to do it in
stages... ie disable server1, update, wait, renable, disable server2....
We've "automated" this using cron by simply updating one server waiting
10 mins then updating the next and so on. We are trying to figure out if
this coordination would be better managed via ZooKeeper.

I've read a bit into ZooKeeper and it seems like it would be easy to set
a watch on a node to trigger when a model has changed thus triggering a
refresh of our recommender. Where I get lost is how would I coordinate
this so only one server at a time goes down? When it comes back up then
the next server should be updated. Can someone please explain how this
could be accomplished? Thanks