zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Zimmerman <jzimmer...@netflix.com>
Subject Major issue with recipe doc
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:26:02 GMT
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/recipes.html#sc_recipes_Locks

I've just been informed that the recipe for Locking (and probably others) is seriously incorrect.
When creating a sequential ephemeral node, there is a possibility that the ZK server can crash
before the result is returned to the client. The implication is that the client will never
know what Number was assigned to its node. Because the session is still valid, a dead lock
will result.

This is very bad (unless I'm missing something). The documentation leads people to write code
that won't behave correctly.

-JZ