zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Database support
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:34:04 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Uday Subbarayan
<uday.subbarayan@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Mahadev,
>              There are couple of reasons:
> a) We want to use our Web GUI to create/update/delete the data. (which is
> basically our own internal configuration information) This helps our
> operation team don't have to use any external tool for handling ZK data.

This is trivial to do.  Probably the easiest way would be to use a java web
framework of some kind to build a simple access interface.  JSP would work
fine for this.  The Python binding would also allow you to use Django.

> b)We have to run separate file servers for this particular usage. If it's
> in database, it's easy to extend our web gui and then use the existing
> mechanism for the data backup.

If the data is in a database, it isn't really Zookeeper.  You will have
abysmal performance since Zookeeper assumes that it can scan things quickly
(as for the snapshot or resync operations).  It might be possible to
re-engineer the data table underneath Zookeeper to be stored in a database
instead of in memory, but that is really fairly perverse.

Backing up Zookeeper is trivial.  All you have to do is grab the snapshot
and logs.