zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper on two clusters?
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 22:24:31 GMT
Camille's comment is exactly correct.  Why not use a messaging system
instead of a coordination system.

Also, if you don't know the exact requirements, then you cannot successfully
use ZK (or a screwdriver) to meet those requirements.

You are correct that loosely coupled distributed systems are very difficult.
 This is related to the fact that with tightly coupled systems you can (sort
of) ignore some of the failure modes for the most part and your system will
still appear to work (much of the time).

The way that I like to say this is that the cost of a Now is largely
determined by its diameter and time scale.  A very large Now costs
exponentially more than a very small Now.  Getting Now on the scale of 5 mm
is pretty cheap.  At 5 m, the cost is significant, but not massive.  At 5000
km, it is very expensive to get a Now better than 50ms.