zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Yazbek <daniel.yaz...@abuzz.com.au>
Subject Failover on a two-node cluster
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:35:47 GMT
Hi all,

I am a newbie to zookeeper, so please be patient :)

I have setup two zookeeper servers on two separate machines (A and B).
I can start servers A and B ok.

I have a client C, running on machine A. I can start the client, connect to the server, and
create/change/remove znodes, and everything works nicely.

Now, when I stop server B, the client C on machine A throws a ConnectionLossException when
I try to get a znode.

I initially thought that server A would be fine to run in standalone mode, but unfortunately
this is not the case.

Can someone please explain this behaviour to me? Is there some bit of configuration I am missing?
Or, is this how it works by design?
The same scenario with three servers (and bringing one down) works just fine.

Further, is there a way to configure zookeeper server to dynamically "sniff" out its peers
(via a UDP broadcast maybe) instead of hard-coding them in the zoo.cfg?

Thanks

-Daniel.