zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encryption in ZooKeeper & contrib projects
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:56:16 GMT
This sounds like an export certification.  Don't take what I say as
definitive in this regard.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Melissa Mahasintunan
<stopponi@us.ibm.com>wrote:

> Sorry to repost, but hoping someone can help with this!
>
> I'm hoping to get a little more information about the encryption
> functionality, specifically if it is limited to the following functions:
>
> - code limited to encryption of passwords, personal identification
> numbers, digital signatures, fixed data compression techniques, hashing

Zookeeper does password encryption and hashing.  It is likely that it will
adopt standard public key libraries for authentication in the future.

Others can comment on the exact state of encrypted connections to Zookeeper,
but it is not standard practice to use them.  In the future, it is likely
that hashing will be used to authenticate messages.

- decryption (only) of radio or pay TV broadcasts, or for civilian use of
> mobile radio telephones not capable of "end to end" encryption

This does not apply.

> - decryption specially designed to allow execution of copy-protected
> software and the decryption function is not user-accessible

This does not apply.

> - cryptographic software specially designed and limited for use on banking
> (ATM, POS terminals)

This does not apply.

> - personalized smart card software not capable of message traffic
> encryption of user-supplied or related key management functions

This does not apply.

> - key management designed, restricted, and intended to support only one of
> the above functions
> - software designed to protect against malicious computer damage (e.g.
> Viruses, intrusion detection, etc.)

This does not apply.