zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: libzookeeper_mt and GDB
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:05:01 GMT
I have two suggestions that might or might not work.

First, you can increase the timeouts to high values and also write a bit of
code that can expire the session instantly.  The ZK unit tests have examples
of how to do this by opening a second connection with the same session id
and then closing it.  This has the effect of instantly expiring the original
connection.  You still have a bit of an education process here.  This is
high risk since the configuration file with the long timeouts will probably
get checked in by mistake at some point.  There might be a way to avoid this
with a special startup option that over-rides the session length for just
the one invocation.

A second idea is that you might be able to define a gdb macro that is
invoked when you hit a breakpoint and another that is invoked at continue
time (or manually).  The first macro would invoke a function to start or
continue a background thread that can keep the heartbeats going.  The second
macro would kill that thread and restore normal operation.  The ideal case
would be to continue just the normal ZK heartbeat thread except that might
cause notifications to be called in the background which could confuse the
person doing the debugging.

If you can make it work, the second approach would give you something
approaching a normal debugging experience.