zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Yang <teddyyyy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: help on Zookeeper code walk through?
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:39:49 GMT
got it, so
sessionTimeout (which is roughly the grace  period before ZKServer
elects the next leader)
should be guaranteed to be higher than the time needed for application
thread to detect the Disconnect event from ZK client. the latter time
value can be due to GC pause, thread scheduling delay etc.

right?

thanks
Yang

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Fournier, Camille F.
<Camille.Fournier@gs.com> wrote:
> The client connection sets two values. One is the negotiatedSessionTimeout, which is
the time that the server will go before timing out a session it has not received a message
from. The second is the readTimeout, which is set after session is established to: readTimeout
= negotiatedSessionTimeout * 2 / 3

> What should happen is the following: Imagine the client has a network partition from
the ZK cluster. It will try to ping the cluster in the readTimeout, and detect that it is
disconnected. Your code will then see a disconnected event. Now, you still have 1/3 of the
negotiated session timeout before the session is completely timed out. So while you could
have some bit of time between when the disconnected event happens and the client sees and
acts on it, it should be less than the session timeout, and it is fair for the master to continue
to act as the master during this time because no other server should have taken over as the
master yet, since the master's lock node still exists on the ZK server. Now, if you are in
a debugger let's say, and have paused the event thread while the main thread continues running,
then yes, you can continue to incorrectly act as the master. But as long as your timeouts
are reasonable, the interval between when the disconnected event happens and the master detects
the disconnected event and ceases to act as the master should be long enough that you are
never improperly acting as the master because your node will still exist on the ZK. Note that
this does mean that the actions inside of your master while loop down there need to be able
to complete well within 1/3 of the negotiated session timeout, or else you will act improperly
as the master.

> The only exception to this I can think of in "normal use" is the following: I receive
a disconnected event, and before processing it I have a full GC that takes so long that the
session was fully expired before it completed. Then, there may possibly be a period after
resumption of the VM where I am acting as the master when in fact I haven't processed a disconnected/session
expired event.

master should see a disconnected state event, not a node deletion event. Upon seeing that
event, it should stop acting as master until such time as it can determine whether it has
reconnected and is still master, or it reconnects and sees that its original session has failed
or the master node is deleted.