zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Fournier, Camille F." <Camille.Fourn...@gs.com>
Subject Re: help on Zookeeper code walk through?
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:51:51 GMT
If the zk cluster doesn't get pings from your existing master, the zk client on that master
should see a disconnected state event, not a node deletion event. Upon seeing that event,
it should stop acting as master until such time as it can determine whether it has reconnected
and is still master, or it reconnects and sees that its original session has failed or the
master node is deleted.

----- Original Message -----
From: Yang <teddyyyy123@gmail.com>
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org <user@zookeeper.apache.org>
Sent: Mon Jul 18 04:00:04 2011
Subject: Re: help on Zookeeper code walk through?

Thanks  Camille and Ben.

I get the basic picture now.

I have another question: in a leader election scenario (for example
HBase Master election), I want to make sure that at any time ,  there
is only at most one node running as master, and there is indeed one
running as master all the time except for very short failover time
period.

then if only the connection between current master and ZK  is down,
ZK senses the lack of pings, and kills the session and ephemeral child
node owned by the leader, and the next client node kicks in as leader.
at this time, if the current leader machine is still working fine, its
traffic going out to the its application servers as normal, would it
be blissfully still acting as a leader, and violate our "single
master" goal?   for example if the Watcher.process()  catches the
nodeDelete event, and tries to set some var to stop the application
server, but if this thread is stopped before the var is set, and is
never invoked again, then the application server could just keep
happily going along...?

for example, the following dummy code

class MyApplication {
    volatile boolean should_stop = false;
    class MyZKWatcher implements Zookeeper.Watcher {
             public void process(Event e) {
                  if ( e is nodeDelete of my owner node ) {
                           should_stop = true ;  //*************
                  }
    }

    public void runApp() {
          zk = new ZooKeeper(hostPort, 3000, this);
          while ( ! should_shop ) {
               send_out_some_messages to my application servers
assuming I'm leader
          }
   }

      new MyApplication().runApp();
  }
}

basically if the nodeDelete event is caught but the Watcher stops
right at "//*****" line , then the
application main loop could still be going on?? otherwise I have to
put a node exists() check before I send out every application message?

Thanks  a lot
Yang