zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Simon Felix ...@iru.ch>
Subject Shared block storage via ZooKepper
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:02:30 GMT
Hello everyone

What is the best way to build a distributed, shared storage system on top of
ZooKeeper? I'm talking about block storage in the terabyte-range (i.e. store
billions of 4k blocks). Consistency and Availability are important, as is
throughput (both read & write). I need at least 50 MB/s with 3 nodes with
two regular SATA drives each for my application.

Some options I came up with:
1. Use ZooKeeper directly as a data store (Not recommended according to the
docs - and it really leads to abysmally bad performance, I tested that)
2. Use Cassandra as data store
3. Use BookKeeper as write-ahead log and implement my own underlying store
4. Use ZooKeeper to create my own (probably buggy...) data store

What would you recommend? Are there other options?

Cheers,
Simon