zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Melissa Mahasintunan <stopp...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Encryption in ZooKeeper & contrib projects
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:27:56 GMT
Hi All,

I am trying to determine if the ZooKeeper package (including the contrib
packages) uses encryption, and if so, if that encryption is limited to
such things as encryption of passwords, PINs, digital signatures, fixed
data compression techniques or hashing.

I know Zookeeper has an access control per user, so a user's password
might be encrypted internally. However, it's not documented as far as I
know, so I'm not sure. It may even be stored as a plain data.

I've also tried to grep files in the whole package with "crypto" keyword,
and found the related information is as follows:

Related keyword:
org.apache.zookeeper.inspector.encryption.EncryptionManager
/BasicDataEncryptionManager   (found in contrib\ZooInspector)
This class appears to encrypt/decrypt outside of Zookeeper, and the
specific encrypted logic does not seem to be implemented within.

Related keyword: org.apache.bookkeeper.client.MacDigestManager /
CRC32DigestManager    (found in contrib\bookkeeper)
This class does seem to include encryption logic, but I'm not sure if the
functions are limited to those I've listed above.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Melissa