zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Camille Fournier <cami...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RE: swap
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:40:22 GMT
To add on to this, you know how much memory your vm can allocate, you know
how much memory your system has. You shouldn't allocate more memory to the
zk vm than the system has minus a percentage for overhead. If you don't have
enough space on the machine to run zk without swapping, the machine is too
small for your use case.
On Jun 13, 2011 9:38 AM, "Fournier, Camille F." <Camille.Fournier@gs.com>
wrote:
> My advice is to turn off disk swap completely if you are using the machine
to run only ZK, or any app which should always have its entire heap in
memory. Disk swapping by java heaps is very, very bad for apps with
performance driven by caching all state. You will need to leave some amount
of memory for OS overhead (it's been too long since I did that analysis but
I would make sure it is at least in the neighborhood of 10% of the total
available memory).

physical memory is enough, but swap is used by 302064k. Should I increase my
java heap size or decrease my java heap size?