zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Debian packager orphaning ZooKeeper
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:40:15 GMT
I have been corresponding with the Debian developer community.  Their major
beef with ZK is that it doesn't compile on MIPS architecture using gcj.  The
package as proposed says that the default java is acceptable and on MIPS
this is gcj.

Clearly there is a major disconnect between what Zookeeper is, what it
requires and the current proposed Debian packaging of same.

My major question is: do we care?

Literally, is there anybody out there who would be positively impacted by
having a debian package for Zookeeper?  (nobody can be negatively impacted
at this point because there isn't any official debian package for ZK).

If there is somebody whom such a package would help, then I say we do care
and somebody ought to step up to maintain and fix this package.  Right now,
just restricting the package to use java 1.6 should be enough to move
forward.  Behind that issue, there is a moderate bug in the way that a cron
job is set up to clean up logs, but isn't unscheduled.  Beyond that, my
guess is that the level of effort should be no more than tracking production
ZK releases.

Is anybody out there?