zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Fournier, Camille F." <Camille.Fourn...@gs.com>
Subject RE: Java smoketest
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:30:15 GMT
ZK is sensitive to disk access, so it could be an issue of the disk you are writing to when
running under windows. Did you try running your java tests against the linux cluster? Or your
python tests against the windows cluster? There might be some slowdown with the Java client
but I would not expect an order of magnitude difference in performance. I did find correct
performance tests rather difficult to write, even looking at the python library for reference,
if you want to share your code somehow (note that these mailing lists don't accept attachments),
there might be a small bug you are missing.

We have ported the C client-side bindings to windows (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-992).
They should be available in the 3.4 release. We haven't built python on top of them, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Goodheart-Smithe [mailto:colings86.dev@googlemail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:58 AM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Java smoketest

I want to be able to run the ZooKeeper smoke test and latency test on a
windows machine and after trying to first find the c library and python
bindings for windows and then failing to be able to build the libraries
myself I have ported the tests to java.  The tests both work, however the
latency test outputs statistics which are orders of magnitude slower than
when I run the python scripts on a Linux environment (1000's of ops/sec in
Linux using python and 1-10 ops/sec in windows using Java).  I am wondering
if anyone has any answers to the following:

   - Is the zookeeper client for java known to be significantly slower than
   the python library?
   - Does the zookeeper server run slower on windows than on linux?
   - Has anyone built the python bindings and C library for zookeeper and if
   so are these available?

I am open to the suggestion that my code could be optimised but I wanted to
find out if there are known issues with zookeeper's speed in Windows and
with Java before I start going down that route.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Colin