zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Zookeeper in embedded mode
Date Sat, 28 May 2011 19:17:23 GMT
There is a bit of a conundrum here.

Your problem is one of coordination.  In the Zookeeper world, it is common
to solve problems like this using ephemeral znodes to indicate that a server
is up.  Your problem is that you are trying to coordinate with the Zookeeper
process itself and don't have an external Zookeeper available to help you.

This problem of coordinating with the coordinator is exactly what makes
embedded use of Zookeeper somewhat problematic.  I have written, used and
tried to maintain applications that have embedded Zookeepers and this has
always been a problem.

In addition, using an embedded Zookeeper also leads to multi-master issues
because it is usually possible to invoke multiple copies of the program with
the embedded Zookeeper.  You don't usually want to hunt for a port number
because the ZK port should be a well-known thing (test cases are the major
exception) and you don't usually want to share some other invocations
embedded Zookeeper.  You also don't usually want Zookeeper to go down just
because of an application error.

All in all, I really prefer to have a separate Zookeeper service and avoid
embedded designs.  There is a small management overhead (just start it once
and arrange for restart on reboot ... it will run forever).