zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Growing a cluster
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 17:41:54 GMT
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jared Cantwell <jared.cantwell@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Ted.  So based on this it seems like you'd have to go from 1 to 2
> servers, and then from 2 to 3 servers, 3 to 5, 5 to 9, etc., right?

No.  I would avoid even numbers.  I would go 1 to 3 (but one is missing
initially).  Counting
active servers would give the sequence you say, but the configurations would
say first 1, then
3 and conceptually, you are moving from one server to three with no
intermediate configuraiton.

> This is what we have designed and are testing, although it doesn't seem to
> always be so smooth.  Sometimes the servers seem to get "stuck" on the
> restart-- we're trying to collect more details.

Even number cluster sizes are evil.