zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Mahadev Konar <maha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Importance of latency in a global deployment
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 17:02:37 GMT
Camille,
 Am glad to see a ZK deployment across Data Centers in prod. Would you
be able to write a small FAQ/wiki on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Index

For a cross colo deployment? A small write up on the challenges you
faced and how to resolve them and your configuration settings and why
you chose those?

This would be very very handy for folks thinking abt ZK cross data centers.

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Fournier, Camille F. [Tech]
<Camille.Fournier@gs.com> wrote:
> Global clusters will affect writes greatly, and may also affect you client reads in an
indirect manner.
> Writes, having to traverse from one region to another for purposes of voting, will be
slowed down considerably by the ping time between regions.
> If you did a three node deployment in the manner you mentioned, your clients may also
suffer. Usually you would want to have a list of all available cluster members for your client
to connect to, so if one is down or goes down the client can fail over to a running node.
However, given that your client will have regional affinity for at most one of your servers,
if you use the standard zk client connection logic your client either may be connected to
a far region (slowing down all responses due to latency) or the client would have no failover
node available should their close region node fail. If you choose to have clients able to
connect to any node you may also have wan traffic considerations.

> Some of the client side issues may be alleviated by using observers.
>
> I've got deployments across regions to handle data center failure, but in all cases the
off-region member is not available for client connections, and is kept from acting as leader
to prevent slowness on writes.

--
thanks
mahadev