zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Toader, Sebastian" <Sebastian.Toa...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: ZK quota management
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 08:41:27 GMT
Hi all,

We are using ZooKeeper internally and ran into same issue where we wanted Quotas to impose
hard restrictions. We needed this primarily to protect ZooKeeper server against rogue client
applications that may cause Zk server to use up the allocated memory thus affecting other
clients as well.

We've changed ZooKeeper's (version 3.3) code to impose hard restrictions. Currently it's in
testing. Once we are happy with how it we are planning to push changes back so it will be
available for others as well.

One thing to note our implementation is not configurable whether to impose quota or just warn
if quota exceeded, it always enforces quotas if set on a znode.

Best regards,
Seb

-----Original Message-----
From: Mahadev Konar [mailto:mahadev@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 12:35 AM
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org
Subject: Re: ZK quota management

The current quotas doesnt really impose hard restrictions on quota. It
would be nice to change the quotas to impose that. This shouldnt be a
big change but again given the Multitxn patch it might be a litte more
complicated.

thanks
mahadev

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Fournier, Camille F. [Tech]
<Camille.Fournier@gs.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you used the Quotas feature in ZK in your production systems.
If so, do you find it useful? How does it affect performance?

--
thanks
mahadev

NOTICE: Morgan Stanley is not acting as a municipal advisor and the opinions or views contained
herein are not intended to be, and do not constitute, advice within the meaning of Section
975 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. If you have received
this communication in error, please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the
sender immediately. Mistransmission is not intended to waive confidentiality or privilege.
Morgan Stanley reserves the right, to the extent permitted under applicable law, to monitor
electronic communications. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.morganstanley.com/disclaimers. If you cannot access these links, please notify
us by reply message and we will send the contents to you. By messaging with Morgan Stanley
you consent to the foregoing.