zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Stribling <st...@nicira.com>
Subject Re: Growing a cluster
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 16:29:04 GMT
On 05/04/2011 09:02 PM, Alexander Shraer wrote:
> Hi Jared,
>
> Currently there is no support for adding and removing zookeeper nodes dynamically. See:
>
> We're currently working to add this feature. However, AFAIK there is no intention to
support
> transformation between standalone and multi-node modes, only membership changes in multi-node
mode.

This feature is going to be great to have, thanks for working on it!
However, can someone help me understand why we have standalone mode at
all?  It seems like, in theory, starting a quorum with just a single
node should work just fine and simply act as if it were in standalone
mode.  (I've used Paxos implementations in the past that work this
way.)  What's the catch that prevents Zookeeper from doing this?

Thanks,

Jeremy