zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Murali Krishna. P" <muralikpb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Changing hosts
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 15:15:47 GMT
Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already started the process which Alex had mentioned and
DEF is started with ABC. How can we know whether DEF is synced ? the data/version-2 dir is
empty, i guess i need to wait till it gets some data there?

Thanks,
Murali Krishna

________________________________
From: Vishal Kher <vishalmlst@gmail.com>
To: user@zookeeper.apache.org; Murali Krishna. P <muralikpbhat@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2011 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: Changing hosts

Hi,

Since you can stop clients, another way to achieve what Alex suggested is to:

1. stop clients
2. stop all current zk servers (a_i)
3. scp -r /etc/zookeeper/ from a_i to b_i
4. scp -r /var/zookeeper/ from a_i to b_i
5. On all b_i, edit /etc/zookeeper/zoo.cfg to reflect the correct IP addresses
5 start all b_i

This is assuming that stopping ZK server is ok in our environment.

-Vishal

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Murali Krishna. P <muralikpbhat@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for the responses,
>     I have the luxury of stopping the clients during the operations. So, I would
go with the second approach of cloning.

"zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org" <zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org>
>Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2011 5:27 AM
>Subject: Re: Changing hosts
>

>Alex,
>
>I think that this process does a slightly different thing.  Your process is good for
cloning a cluster, but it doesn't address the problem of transitioning a working cluster.
 My process never has two clusters with the same data so all transactions will always be
applied to a single notional version of the data.

>The reason that this is important is a part of the process that neither of us mentioned.
 That is how to transition the clients.  My assumption is that before the transition, all
clients would re-open their ZK connection with all 6 nodes in the list of servers.  Once
this is done, my process will lead the clients through the transition in a way that all updates
will be visible to all clients.  At the end, the clients should (eventually) trim their list
of servers to the shorter list of new servers.

>With a cluster clone operation, there will be moments when some clients connect to one
cluster and some connect to the other.  That makes it hard to understand how this will work
well.

>The OP can probably clarify which task they really wanted to accomplish.
>

>On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Alexander Shraer <shralex@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Ted,
>>
>>There's a simpler way that works. Suppose that the original servers are A, B and C,
and the new ones
>>are D, E, F. Configure D, E and F to be in the configuration A, B, C, D, E, F and
start them. Don't do any changes to
>>A, B and C. After D, E and F synch with the leader (or at least 2 of them do), turn
them off, change their config files to D, E, F and bring them up again.