zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From "Murali Krishna. P" <muralikpb...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Changing hosts
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 06:07:23 GMT
Thanks for the responses,
     I have the luxury of stopping the clients during the operations. So, I would go with
the second approach of cloning.

Thanks,
Murali Krishna

________________________________
From: Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com>
To: Alexander Shraer <shralex@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "user@zookeeper.apache.org" <user@zookeeper.apache.org>; Murali Krishna. P <muralikpbhat@yahoo.com>;
"zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org" <zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, 12 May 2011 5:27 AM
Subject: Re: Changing hosts

Alex,

I think that this process does a slightly different thing.  Your process is good for cloning
a cluster, but it doesn't address the problem of transitioning a working cluster.  My process
never has two clusters with the same data so all transactions will always be applied to a
single notional version of the data.

The reason that this is important is a part of the process that neither of us mentioned.  That
is how to transition the clients.  My assumption is that before the transition, all clients
would re-open their ZK connection with all 6 nodes in the list of servers.  Once this is
done, my process will lead the clients through the transition in a way that all updates will
be visible to all clients.  At the end, the clients should (eventually) trim their list of
servers to the shorter list of new servers.

With a cluster clone operation, there will be moments when some clients connect to one cluster
and some connect to the other.  That makes it hard to understand how this will work well.

The OP can probably clarify which task they really wanted to accomplish.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Alexander Shraer <shralex@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

Hi Ted,

>There's a simpler way that works. Suppose that the original servers are A, B and C, and
the new ones
>are D, E, F. Configure D, E and F to be in the configuration A, B, C, D, E, F and start
them. Don't do any changes to
>A, B and C. After D, E and F synch with the leader (or at least 2 of them do), turn them
off, change their config files to D, E, F and bring them up again.