zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Serious problem processing hearbeat on login stampede
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:30:48 GMT
2011/4/13 Chang Song <tru64ufs@me.com>:

> Patrick.
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> We are very aware of all the things you mentioned below.
> None of those.
>
> Not GC (we monitor every possible resource in JVM and system)
> No IO. No Swapping.
> No VM guest OS. No logging.

Hm. ok, a few more ideas then:

1) what is the connectivity like btw the servers?

What is the ping time btw them?

Is the system perhaps loading down the network during this test,
causing network latency to increase? Are all the nic cards (server and
client) configured correctly? I've seen a number of cases where
clients and/or server had incorrectly configured nics (ethtool
reported 10 MB/sec half duplex for what should be 1gigeth)

2) regarding IO, if you run 'iostat -x 2' on the zk servers while your
issue is happening, what's the %util of the disk? what's the iowait
look like?

3) create a JIRA and upload your 3 server configuration files. Include
the log4j.properties file you are using and any other details you
think might be useful. If you can upload a log file from when you see
this issue that would be useful. Upload any log file if you can't get
it from the time when you see the issue.

> Oh, one thing I should mention is that it is not 1000 clients,
> 1000 login/logout per second. All operations like closeSession,
> ping takes more than 8 seconds (peak).

Are you continuously logging in and the logging out, 1000 times per
second? That's not a good use case for ZK sessions in general. Perhaps
if you describe your use case in more detail it would help.

Patrick

> [...]
> - Cause all client JVM OOME to create heap dump
>
> in group B. All clients in group A will not be able to receive
> ping response in 5 seconds.
>
> We need to fix this as soon as possible.
> What we do as a workaround is to raise sessionTimeout to 40 sec.
> At least clients in Group A survives. But this increases
> our cluster failover time significantly.
>
> Thank you, Patrick.
>

> ps. We actually push ping request to FinalRequestProcessor as soon
>      as the packet identifies itself as ping. No dice.
>

> 2011. 4. 14., 오전 12:21, Patrick Hunt 작성:
>
>> Hi Chang, it sounds like you may have an issue with your cluster
>> environment/setup, or perhaps a resource (GC/mem) issue. Have you
>> looked through the troubleshooting guide?
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/Troubleshooting
>>
>> In particular 1000 clients connecting should be fine, I've personally
>> seen clusters of 7-10 thousand clients. Keep in mind that each session
>> establishment is essentially a write (so the quorum in involved) and
>> what we typically see there is that the cluster configuration has
>> issues. 14 seconds for a ping response is huge and indicates one of
>> the following may be an underlying cause:
>>
>> 1) are you running in a virtualized environment?
>> 2) are you co-locating other services on the same host(s) that make up
>> the ZK serving cluster?
>> 3) have you followed the admin guide's "things to avoid"?
>> http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.3.3/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_commonProblems
>> In particular ensuring that you are not swapping or going into gc
>> pause (both on the server and the client)
>> a) try turning on GC logging and ensure that you are not going into GC
>> pause, see the troubleshooting guide, this is the most common cause of
>> high latency for the clients
>> b) ensure that you are not swapping
>> c) ensure that other processes are not causing log writing
>> (transactional logging) to be slow.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Chang Song <tru64ufs@me.com> wrote:
>>> Hello, folks.
>>>
>>> We have ran into a very serious issue with Zookeeper.
>>> Here's a brief scenario.
>>>
>>> We have some Zookeeper clients with session timeout of 15 sec (thus 5 sec ping),
let's called
>>> these clients, group A.
>>>
>>> Now 1000 new clients (let's call these, group B) starts up at the same time trying
>>> connect to a three-node ZK ensemble, creating ZK createSession stampede.
>>>
>>> Now almost all clients in group A is not able to exchange ping within session
expire time (15 sec).
>>> Thus clients in group A drops out of the cluster.
>>>
>>> We have looked into this issue a bit, found mostly synchronous nature of session
queue processing.
>>> Latency between ping request and response ranges from 10ms up to 14 seconds during
this login stampede.

>>> Since session timeout is serious matter for our cluster, thus ping should be
done in psuedo realtime fashion.