zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Scott Fines <scottfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unexpected behavior with Session Timeouts in Java Client
Date Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:51:55 GMT
Okay, I can buy that it's not in keeping with the ZooKeeper design
philosophy to use timeouts in the way that I am describing. I'm guessing
this is so that it avoids situations where clients preemptively time
themselves out and leave sessions hanging?

I guess my objection would be that the API is making a promise that it can
only deliver part of the time. If the client can't reconnect to ZooKeeper,
then the client hasn't expired, which is an unusual state to find oneself
in, and in leader-election systems like mine could result in having two
practical leaders, while ZooKeeper is insisting that there is only one. This
kind of split-brain scenario seems unavoidable in the absence of
probabilistic failure checking (like timeouts).

The FAQ, I've noticed, does make mention of this phenomenon. Perhaps
something should be indicated there regarding the why and not just the
mechanics. Otherwise, developers such as myself might find themselves unduly
confused by it :)

Thanks for all your help,

Scott