zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From daidong <daidon...@gmail.com>
Subject Problems about Zab protocol
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:37:37 GMT
Hi, everyone.

Recently, i read the paper "a simple total ordered broadcast protocol" and
there are some problems i can not figure out. Hope anyone can help me... :P

The paper describes the Zab protocol as a 2 phase commit protocol when
system is under broadcast mode. However some paper(Skeen 82, "A Quorum Based
Commit Protocol") has mentioned if we want to extend an 2PC to adapt a
quorum based commit protocol we must introduce a three phase commit
protocol(In fact, i haven't quit understood this, :( ). However according
Zab paper, this still can be done. Why and how to do this?

Secondly, even Zookeeper can guarantee that status in different followers
are consistent. However, this consistency only works among a quorum of
followers that has acked the COMMIT. As the client can connect to any
followers when perform reading action, so what happens if the client happens
to connect with the follower that has not acked the COMMIT? I can not find
the information in this paper...

If i ask some naive question, Hope anybody can tell me where i can find the
answer or some suggestions, thanks :)