zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Zsolt Beothy-Elo <zbeothy-...@talend.com>
Subject Re: Question about Clustered Setup in two data centers
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:51:31 GMT

Am 02.03.2011 um 18:56 schrieb Jesse Kempf:

> Hi Zsolt,
>
> If the customer has a computer room at their headquarters, you could keep two ZKs in
each datacenter and a fifth ZK at their HQ. In that case you could lose a datacenter and still
have quorum.

Running such an infrastructure service outside one of the data centers of course violates
almost every policy (security, backup,...) that is in place at the customer.  But we also
had the idea :) And as Ritesh states computer at headquarter would likely become the bottleneck.
Connection between centers is fast and reliable under almost all circumstances.

Zsolt

> Cheers,
> -Jesse
>
> On Mar 2, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Zsolt Beothy-Elo wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> in our product we currently implement to use ZooKeeper in conjunction with CXF to
dynamically manage available services and endpoints. Unfortunately one of our customers is
not very happy of having to run a minimum of three ZooKeeper server instances to ensure fail
over. The customer has two data centers in different locations where data and applications
are replicated and some big-ip appliance in front of the data centers. If one data center
fails everything must still be operable. So he would prefer to only have two  instances one
in each data center. I would be grateful for some advise how to best cope with these contradicting
requirements.