zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Re: Zookeeper for generating sequential IDs
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 18:09:25 GMT
On 02/25/2011 04:50 AM, Ertio Lew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am involved in a project where we're building a social application
> using Cassandra DB and Java. I am looking for a solution to generate
> unique sequential IDs for the content on the application. I have been
> suggested by some people to have a look  to Zookeeper for this. I
> would highly appreciate if anyone can suggest if zookeeper is suitable
> for this purpose and any good resources to gain information about
> zookeeper.
>
> Since the application is based on a eventually consistent distributed
> platform using Cassandra, we have felt a need to look over to other
> solutions instead of building our own using our DB.
>
> Any kind of comments, suggestions are highly welcomed! :)
>
> Regards
> Ertio Lew.

I ran into a similar id-generation issue, and wrote a library for it.
(Details described in this msg:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-zookeeper-user/201008.mbox/%3C4C5B7656.4020200@darose.net%3E

.)

Been planning to release it to the community, but haven't gotten around
to it yet.

Not sure my solution is exactly what you're looking for though.

HTH,

DR