zookeeper-user mailing list archives

From Jesse Kempf <je...@twitter.com>
Subject Re: Question about Clustered Setup in two data centers
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 17:56:02 GMT
Hi Zsolt,

If the customer has a computer room at their headquarters, you could keep two ZKs in each
datacenter and a fifth ZK at their HQ. In that case you could lose a datacenter and still
have quorum.

Cheers,
-Jesse

On Mar 2, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Zsolt Beothy-Elo wrote:

> Hi all,
> in our product we currently implement to use ZooKeeper in conjunction with CXF to dynamically
manage available services and endpoints. Unfortunately one of our customers is not very happy
of having to run a minimum of three ZooKeeper server instances to ensure fail over. The customer
has two data centers in different locations where data and applications are replicated and
some big-ip appliance in front of the data centers. If one data center fails everything must
still be operable. So he would prefer to only have two  instances one in each data center.
I would be grateful for some advise how to best cope with these contradicting requirements.